Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"How can you tell if I sprained or twisted my ankle?"

ZocdocAnswersHow can you tell if I sprained or twisted my ankle?


Yesterday I came in after it snowed and slipped and I woke up and I can't move my ankle from side to side but I can point it straight.


Ankle sprains are very common after minor trauma like you describe, and can result in a wide range of symptoms (pain, swelling, bruising, difficulty bearing weight, difficulty moving the ankle, et cetera). The most important determination to make after such an injury is whether or not the ankle is "sprained" (damage to the ligaments, or structures that hold bones together) or fractured (one or more of the bones in the ankle are broken), as this determines how the injury is treated. So it is important to speak with your physician.

See a doctor who can help

Find Orthopedic surgeons near you

Fractures are usually treated with immobilization and restricted weight bearing, whereas ankle sprains are treated symptomatically with anti-inflammatory medications and early functional rehabilitation. If your symptoms are bothersome in the meantime, it is appropriate to use ice and elevation of the injured extremity in the treatment of either a fracture or a sprain. Both sprains and fractures can produce similar symptoms and it is very difficult to determine which has occurred without an x-ray. There are guidelines that physicians use to determine when an x-rays is necessary (the most widely used system is the "Ottowa ankle rules"), but these guidelines are best applied by doctors who are trained in proper physical examination. If necessary, x-rays can typically be performed in primary care offices or urgent care centers, and results are available almost immediately. Again, please speak with your physician.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.