Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Tied my keloid scar to cut off the circulation, and now it's swelling with fluid. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersTied my keloid scar to cut off the circulation, and now it's swelling with fluid. What should I do?


I have a keloid scar on the back of my left ear and I have been told by people that they have just tied it tightly with a string, and in a week or two the keloid shrivels up and falls off. It's been about 3 days and now it's swelled with fluid and looks kind of like a weird grape. I was wondering if I should sterilize a needle and drain it? Or should I just leave it be?


This is an interesting question, and the method that you are using to remove the keloid is not one that is recommended by doctors. Please speak with your doctor immediately to help care for the problem that you are describing. Keloids are abnormal and hyperactive scars that can form in some people after an injury.

See a doctor who can help

Find Ear nose throat doctors near you

Certain ethnic groups are more prone to developing them, and certain age groups are more susceptible as well. Once you have a keloid, there are many things that can be done to help with the problem, but the method that you have described is not one that most doctors would recommend. The problem is that infection can rapidly expand to include the cartilage of your ear which can result in swelling and disfigurement of the ear that can be permanent. This sort of problem can be common among wrestlers, and is sometimes known as cauliflower ear, and results from cartilage injury. Your method of treatment may result in that sort of problem if not treated appropriately. The best treatment for most keloids is pressure, steroid injection, and then resection in a limited fashion if absolutely necessary. Again, please speak with your doctor about your keloid and your current concerns.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.