Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?


I have green mucus, post nasal drip, no sense of smell.


These symptoms do indeed sound like sinusitis or sinus congestion. Sinus congestion occurs when contaminants or allergens in the air cause inflammation and mucus plugging of the nasal passages and sinuses. Some home treatments can help with this, particularly irrigation of the nasal passages with saline solution (using a Nettipot or some similar system).

See a doctor who can help

Find Primary care doctors near you

Additionally, over the counter antihistamine medications may be helpful. If these remedies do not work for you, then you should talk to your primary care doctor. Sinus problems are one of the most common problems seen by primary care doctors, and they are very capable of dealing with it. In addition to the remedies above, your doctor may prescribe some nasal steroid spray, which can help reduce the inflammation and plugging. Other medications, such as montelukast, may also be indicated, depending on what your doctor finds on exam. Finally, if there is any evidence of a sinus infection (based on length and severity of symptoms) your doctor may decide to prescribe a course of oral antibiotics to help clear things up. Start by calling your primary care doctor! They will confirm the diagnosis and will help you decide which treatment options are best for your condition.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.